Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Are You a Mother Lover?


No, not that kind of Mother Lover...

Have you noticed how the Mother's Day advertising has ramped up this week, since the holiday is coming up on Sunday? Have you also noticed the content of any of those ads?

"Hi, this is so-and-so from ABC Jewelers. When you're buying a present for your Mother from us, don't forget that your wife may be a mother, too, and she deserves something sparkly and new..."

OK, it's not a real ad, but it's almost word-for-word the same as one of the radio ads I heard yesterday morning. Wonder who they're trying to appeal to?

Oh, right...Men.

Between Valentine's Day and Mother's Day - two holidays when the men in our lives are expected to step up to the plate and present gifts of love and praise - I'd bet a majority of the advertising dollars are spent within about 7-10 days of the actual date of the holiday. (Don't ask me to provide any data on that, I have none, just personal experience)

Why? Because men shop at the last minute. I don't know about you, but my father hasn't ever bought a Christmas present before December 20th (and on the flipside, by December my mother is already preparing for my birthday in March), and my adult brother still requires reminder phone calls about upcoming holidays, birthdays, and celebrations. He heard from me just this past Saturday, and this is how our conversation went:

Me: Hey, don't forget Mother's Day is next Sunday, and Dad's birthday is the following Friday.
Bro: It is? (pause)
Me: Do you need me to buy cards now so that you can sign your name on them when you're home?
Bro: (Another pause) No, I think I can handle it.
Me: Are you sure?
Bro: (Another pause) No really, I can do it.
Me: OK, well consider this your official reminder so you'd better get on top of that, you don't have much time left...
Bro: Nah, I have a whole week!

Sigh.

Anyway, to all the Moms out there - thanks for everything you've done, and everything you'll continue to do. Love you.




No comments: